PO Box 5918
Bellingham, WA 98229
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., 2004
Staff editor, Journal of Land Use & Environmental Law
Staff editor, Journal of Transational Law and Policy
- University of West Florida, B.A. English, magna cum laude, 1999
Heather M. Erb | Owner
Heather Erb proudly serves nonprofit organizations, tribal governments and other organizations in the areas of health care, government relations, corporate governance, 501(c)(3) formation and maintenance, contract negotiation, and code/ordinance development. She has been practicing law since 2004 with a special emphasis in Indian law for the last eight years.
Heather provides legal advocacy and assistance to nonprofit organizations in their endeavors to fulfill their mission, build strong corporate governance, and maintain their tax-exempt status. Currently, in her representation of the American Indian Health Commission, Heather has focused extensively on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA). Heather provides legal expertise to the American Indian Health Commission as they assist the Washington Health Benefit Exchange and other State entities in the implementation of the American Indian and Alaska Native Provisions of ACA and the Indian Health Care Improvement Act (IHCIA). She has drafted the Washington Health Benefit Exchange Tribal Consultation Policy as well as proposed revisions to the Office of the Insurance Commissioner and Health Care Authority Washington Administrative codes. Heather has also provided training and outreach to tribal members, leaders, and Indian health program staff and administration across the State of Washington on American Indian and Alaska Native income tax exemptions, Medicaid expansion, cost sharing, premium sponsorship, contracting with qualified health plans, in-person assister training, and community outreach.
In the early years of her career, Heather gained considerable litigation experience as an assistant state attorney, conducting over thirty-five jury trials including capital crimes.
- Whatcom County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association Health Law Section
- Washington State Bar Association Indian Law Section
- American Bar Association Section on Taxation
- Washington Attorneys Assisting Community Organizations (WAACO), 2014-Present
- Sehome High School Mock Trial Coach 2008-2011
- Law Advocates Street Law Program, 2008-2009
- Washington Bar Association Pro Bono Public Service Commendation, 2008
- Related Employment/Clients
- American Indian Health Commission, Contract Attorney, 2012 – Present
- Lummi Nation, Staff Attorney, 2007-2012
- Office of the State Attorney, 10th Judicial Circuit, Assistant State Attorney, 2004-2007
- Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Law Clerk, 2002-2004
- Bay Area Legal Services, Public Service Fellow, 2002